Re: The threat to our national security

On Fre, 2004-01-23 at 13:31, Richard Kimber wrote:

> Are the top people "on our side of the fence" undertaking similar lobbying
> campaigns?

None I know of. And I think that's good.

SCO's press releases often verge on the hysterical, and many times
contradict what SCO has said only weeks (or even days) before. I have
the impression that recently, even those news sites and papers whose
"reports" hitherto were mostly
copy-and-paste-with-perhaps-a-pint-of-rephrasing eventually took notice
and became sceptical.
Have you considered the possibility that SCO's obviously exaggerated
claims may have led many people to seek additional information
themselves? And that sought information may have more impact than
unsolicited lobbying? IMO, our case is too complex to be forced into the
heads of people who aren't willing. But those who are will find lots, be
it gnu.org, the FSF, or Groklaw.
Of course, it only reaches those who actively take interest. But if SCO
continues in this vain, their number will increase by the day.

I'm especially impressed by the discipline the OS community has shown so
far. I think SCO hoped for lots of emotional over-reactions, so that we
all could be tagged bunch of wild fanatics. So far, we didn't take the
bait.
(not as if they wouldn't try anyway... "Internet chat boards are filled
with threats against SCO [...]. Personal threats abound." Poor boy...
for real threats, see alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die)

cu,
Schnobs