Re: "no screens found" error

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 06:25, JamesJack wrote:
> Hello there
>
> I have been trying to get a graphics environment to work in linux
> (gnome,
> kde, or x). Im very new to linux.

welcome!

> When its installing, i get two error messages that packages cxref and
> gdm
> (??) didn't install properly. How might i fix that?

what are the errors (dont paraphrase), copy them from the screen and
paste in the email.

> The system is shared graphics -- is this a problem? ( i tryed putting
> in a Voodoo3 card but i get the same error messages).

i dont know what shared graphics is. (shared memory, onboard graphics?)
that is not the problem if that is what "shared graphics" is.
look in the file /var/log/XFree86.0.log for error messages regarding X.
the file is very large, dont be intimidated. errors are marked with EE

you have to make sure that when you change video cards, you also change
the driver (chipset used) for your video card.

for example:

bash$ lspci -vv

<snip>
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev
                                   manufacturer       chipset
so i have a savage chipset

then do

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86