Re: The threat to our national security

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 08:38:24AM -0500, BruceG wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2004 06:36, ABrady wrote:
>

> > Except for my 5-year-old's dual-boot (Mandrake 9.1/WIN98), the household
> > is now Windoze-free. The kid hates WinDOS, too. But mom makes him play
> > with some of his learning games on it. And if I ever have the time to
> > set up WINE on his machine properly, we can make that happen a little
> > less often, too.
> >
> > I think in all of that time I needed 2 programs that I couldn't find in
> > linux. They were around, I just had trouble locating them. I've learned
> > to be a little more persistent in seeking these things now because I've
> > yet to find anything I need that wasn't available in linux already
> > (YMMV).
>
> I tried Wine on Mdk9.1, and couldn't get much running. I updated Wine and had
> a little more success. Don't know what version of Wine is included with
> Mdk9.2 - or for that matter with Debian Testing ;-) - but you might have
> better luck with a recent version.

Its not free, but if you don't mind paying a bit for someone else doing
the configuration for you there is a commercial version of wine called
crossover office (its based on wine) which is configured to run most of
M$ office, explorer and photoshop out of the box (don't remember what
others).
It does have an issue with multilingual setup though (at least with
hebrew it will show the hebrew pages but won't input it properly).
This can probably also be done in wine itself if you know what you are
doing.
As for programs, the only two things that I have a problem with are
production quality (or at least high quality) non-linear video editing
software (any suggestions, even commercial/proprietary), and some
stubborn web pages.