Re: verifying kernel version

Hello

brfg3 at yahoo (<brfg3@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> One of the authors in this thread seems to suggest that Debian 3
> already comes with 2.4.20 kernel.

It is 2.4.18.

> Is it possible the the uname -r command is returning the same version
> for the kernel image? If so, wouldn't that mean that I already have a
> 2.4.x kernel? It just seems hard to believe that Debian would ship
> woody rc2 with such an old kernel.

I don't completely understand the question about uname. Use

uname -a

to find out the version of the kernel image currently in use. If it says
something with 2.4.20, then you are using Kernel 2.4.20. Although it
would be strange if you used a Kernel that you manually updated, and
didn't know about.

> ii  kernel-image-2 2.0       Linux kernel binary image for version
> 2.4.20 "
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2kxu.8rD.25%40gated-at.bofh.it

best regards
        Andreas Janssen