Re: How to upgrade to 2.4.23 (or .18) kernel

Hello

brfg3 at yahoo (<brfg3@yahoo.com>) wrote:

> I have Debian3 rc2. After installing from the CD, the command uname -r
> shows a 2.2 kernel. I want to use a 2.4 kernel for USB and IPTables
> support. I made two attemps to install a debian kernel image from two
> different tutorials and both times kernel did not find the standard
> netgear 311 nic card. It works in 2.2, though. I changed the nic to a
> linksys, and then a dlink (both cards are detected by suse 7.0 - 9.0
> and Red Hat 7.1 - 9.0), and still got the same result. This leads me
> to the conclusion that there must be something I missed. Is there some
> other undocumented or little-known step to making a the standard
> Debian 2.4.18 kernel detect my NIC? ? Is there some way to install a
> 2.4.18 kernel while installing from the cd, and maybe avoid this
> hassle?

The kernel only detects your cards if the driver is built into the
kernel. If the driver is built as a module (and the 2.4 images except
2.4.18-bf2.4 are highly modularized), then you have to load the module.
Find out it's name and add a line

alias eth0 modulename

to /etc/modutils/aliases. Next run update-modules to save your changes
to /etc/modules.conf. Configure the interface by editing
/etc/network/interfaces or installing or dpkg-reconfiguring etherconf.

And yes, there is a way installing from CD using a 2.4 kernel. Load bf24
instead of linux. However, you maybe don't want the 2.4 installation
kernel for normal use anyway.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--