Re: How to upgrade to 2.4.23 (or .18) kernel

Whoops. Didnt send this to the list...

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 16:01, brfg3 at yahoo wrote:
> I have Debian3 rc2. After installing from the CD, the command uname -r shows
> a 2.2 kernel. I want to use a 2.4 kernel for USB and IPTables support. I
> made two attemps to install a debian kernel image from two different
> tutorials and both times kernel did not find the standard netgear 311 nic
> card. It works in 2.2, though. I changed the nic to a linksys, and then a
> dlink (both cards are detected by suse 7.0 - 9.0 and Red Hat 7.1 - 9.0), and
> still got the same result. This leads me to the conclusion that there must
> be something I missed. Is there some other undocumented or little-known step
> to making a the standard Debian 2.4.18 kernel detect my NIC? ? Is there some
> way to install a 2.4.18 kernel while installing from the cd, and maybe avoid
> this hassle?

There is. Instead of just pressing "enter" when you first boot off the
CD, type bf24, then hit enter (pressing F3 should show you a list of
available kernels, if i remember correctly). That will use a 2.4 kernel
to install everything, and will be used as the default kernel thereafter
(until you change it).

When you installed the 2.4 kernel...did you compile it, or did you
install the kernel package? The driver for that card is included with
the debian kernel-package I think. You may need to switch to root, and
insert the module like so: modprobe natsemi

hope that helps..

-davidc