Formatting Floppy

I have formatted a floppy disk with the following command:

# fdformat /dev/fd0h1440

However, I am unable to mount it with the following command:

# mount -f auto /dev/fd0 /mnt

I receive an error message that it is not an msdos disk.  However, if
I try to mount it with this command, I receive the same error:

# mount -f msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

The only thing that works is if I format the floppy on a windows machine
and then mount it with the above command, i.e. :

# mount -f msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

My question is what file system do I designate when I format the floppy
under debian with the fdformat command (i.e., fdformat /dev/fd0h1440)?
I want the floppy to be formatted with a linux file system, and not
msdos.

Thanks,
Barry