Re: VA box network install challenge

Reposting to Debian-User, so that you can get suggestions from others that might be more knowledgeable than me, and so that people having the same issue in the future might benefit from this discussion being archived.

See below for more info:

Danny O'Brien wrote:

Thanks for your helpful response. My original post is below.

Here's some output from the different troubleshooting attempts.

- /etc/init.d/networking stop -- resulted in this: "SIOCDELRT: No such device"

- running "mii-tool" as root resulted in this: "No MII interfaces found"

- bringing up interface manually with ifup eth0 gave this: "interface already configured"

- I rebooted the box, paying careful attention to the bootup output, and saw "SIOCDBCAST: No such device" flash by.

So although the Debian installer saw the card and installed the eepro100 driver, some part of the operating system appears not to see the network hardware.

Any other ideas?

I'm thinking that Debian is not happy with the VA/Intel ethernet chip set. At this point, I'm going to try installing a 3Com PCI network card in the box, to see if the OS sees that.

I suspect you're running a 2.2 kernel ("uname -a" will show you the kernel version you have), and it may be having trouble with that chipset. What does "lspci" say about the ethernet stuff?

You might want to upgrade to a 2.4 kernel. Try "apt-get search kernel-image-2.4" to see the different 2.4 kernels available on your CD, then install one with a command like "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7", or whatever version matches your CPU(s).

--
Kent