Re: partitions

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 05:52:47PM -0500, Jose Peralta Ramirez wrote:
> i have 2 hard disks drives in my computer, one have fat32 an windows98,
> the other has four partitions, one NTFS, other with fat32, and with
> windows XP in the NTFS partition, other with SWAP and othe with EXT3
> and with linux in the ext3 partition.  what should i do to use the partition
> NTFS and FAT32 when i boot wiht linux ? can i do that ? should i reinstall
> linux with FAT32 or NTFS and not with ext3 ?

AFAIK, linux can read and write FAT32 filesystems, and read the NTFS.
Writing to NTFS can corrupt the filesystem, though.

With a standard x86 Debian kernel, all you have to do is to mount the
partition, possibly read-only.  man mount for details.

There is no reason to somehow unify the filesystems you use, you can
have many filesystem types mounted at the same time; Linux/Debian should
have no problem with this.

HTH,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 9