Re: [OT] Googling...

Sometime near Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 08:34:17AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi World!
>
> I read this:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/22/technology/circuits/22goog.html
>
> a NYT report on Google's search engine.
> The report says "two months ago" but it is true now:
> searching for "miserable failure" produces Bush's biography :-)
>
> Question I have: who would think of searching for "miserable failure",
> or perhaps does Google leak its hidden motives? Or are they?

Hi,

I cant view the article because im not registered at NYT but i believe
that this sort of thing is called "google bombing". Ive seen it many
times before (eg "evil empire"->Microsoft corporation).

I think its just done by people who own alot of domains, they just post
pages that make a real good strong link between "miserable failure" and
"george bush". Forums are also a great place for these bombings to
occur. And because google is so cool, it scans these pages and picks up
on the fact that bush is a miserable failure and thus you get his
official site as the #1 link.

People find out about these i would assume by the people who started
them telling their friends and so on...wildfire spreads fast on the
internet :P.
--
Cheers,
rinmak <rinmak@technine.org>