Re: Versions

On (22/01/04 15:26), Pedro Hernandez wrote:
>  --- Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk> escribió: > On Thu, 22 Jan 2004,
> Pedro >
> > Debian stable aims for well, stability so the old packages are known
> > to be
> > secure and work. If you want newer versions have a look at things
> Ok. I can buy that. How does things work with versions that are known
> to have security issues? Postfix 1.11 as well as 1.12 are known to have
> security "flaws", are the debian version patched for those but still
> keep version 1.11?
>
> > like
> > apt-get.org and backports.org
> Thanks, but secure and stable is what I am looking for right now, so
> woody-stable might be the solution.
Rus's suggestion was on the basis that you stick with woody (stable) -
that's what backports are for - to give access to latest packages and
run then in a stable environment.  If you want many later packages then
you need to run testing (sarge) or unstable(sid).  Both of these have
later packages.  Sarge is shortly to become the stable disribution and
so if you install stable now, it will upgrade to sarge when it becomes
the stable release.

FWIW I was a complete newbie a year ago and have been running woody with
a backport for KDE 3.1.  In the last month I've upgraded my workstation
to sid which has given much better functionality but sometimes one has
to wait for broken updates to be fixed. Our servers are running woody.

For more information on releases see:
http://www.debian.org/releases/

Regards

Clive