Re: Still more X trouble from the install, but some progress!

Jim Higson wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:27:40 -0600, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

Yea! However, I would still encourage you to post this solution on your original thread, for the sake of future knowledge searchers.

I will do when I finally get it sorted - the x server is still crashing!

Yes, but that was a different topic, in a different thread, with a different subject line. Anyone searching that topic/thread might not find your solution if it's not part of that topic/thread. Just a suggestion . . . .

after a few seconds moment there is a fatal server error: caught signal 11. Server aborting.

I rebooted. This time I get the login screen, I type my username/pasword (mouse still working), KDE starts loading but about halfway through takes me back to the login screen. After a few tries I try signing in as root, but this time it throws me out to the comand line!

I don't see anything obvious; the font errors should be ignorable for now. I suspect a problem with KDE; I'd suggest you try something simpler for now, like icewm (apt-get install icewm, and then choose icewm from the menu in your login screen if it exists, or create a file in your home directory with the name .xinitrc with the single line "icewm" in it).

but
I'm familiar with KDE though, and really like using it. In face, it was KDE that persuaded
me to move my main computer over to linux.

Sorry; I guess I wasn't clear. I suggest you use something simpler _as a test_, not permanently. We need to know if the problem is with X, or with KDE. If icewm starts up okay, then we know the problem is not with X itself.

Now I've got one thing sorted out, another presents itself. I can't even find what this singal 11 means! I expected having to relearn a lot moving to a different OS, but I at thought I'd at least have a working install and learn slowly from there. From the pov of a new user these problems look
like bugs in debian stable!

I believe "Signal 11" is one of those generic messages that doesn't really tell you much. I googled for "definition signal 11" and found this: http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2000-September/006444.html which leads me to suspect that there's a list of kernel error messages somewhere in the kernel source tree; I spent a few minutes poking around, but didn't find it.

Debian is true to its reputation; it's not the easiest distro to get installed. But it is the most philosophically pure in the sense of Free software; and it tends to be the most stable (in the stable branch) which is what server administrators want, and it's one of the easiest to maintain over the long haul.

Should I stick with debian, or is switching to another distro a better idea? I'm enjoying the learning process, but I wanted to be using linux for java development by now and am getting behind. All I really want is somthing powerful and stable to replace windows.

Well, not knowing your schedule, it's hard to say, but you've come this far . . . . I'd say stick with Debian; you'll learn more, be more in control of your box, and seem to be close to the point you'd be with other distros.

--
Kent