Re: OT: ISO and Image files-semantics problem

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:01:41AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Nano Nano wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:46:47AM -0500, alex wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > A downloaded ISO is an image.
> > The installation CD is not an image
>
> ??
> debian-30r1-i386-binary-1.iso
> debian-30r1-i386-binary-2.iso
> these are not images?
>
> Hugo.

A CD is a real CD which you can hold in your hand.
If you have the same data on a hard disk, you have a (CD) image. It doesn't
matter whether you copied a CD with dd, downloaded the image from the net, or
created it with mkisofs .
These are often called ISO images and named any_name.iso because the filesystem
is ISO 9660.
You can burn an image on a CD-R with cdrecord but what you make is of course a
real CD.

--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

# Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
# your ~/.signature to help me spread!