Re: emergency: Openoffice, Fonts, what a mess

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 03:36, Kevin Mark wrote:

03:36? This didn't reach me before 04:30...

> This is the kind of things that hurt Linux for the desktop. When average users, trying to
> get 'WORK' done, do a 'routine' upgrade and have a wrench thrown into a seemingly simple

Not that simple. Some physics paper with lots of greek letters and
embedded graphis and functions and whatnot.
Admittedly, I didn't belive that Openoffice was a good means to get it
done in the first place. But I don't know any better means, either.

>  My idea is to downgrade OO. And

Won't this possibly break even more? I lack knowledge of apt-pinning &c,
and there's no time for learning now. My only means would be to replace
the current sources.list entry with one that provides v1.0 -- risky or
OK?

> hopefully this will 'pull-in' the fonts that were messed up. Also, print
> the files to 'pdf' first.

Output to PDF is an OO 1.1 feature.Though this may be necessary either
way: my postscript printer messes up some of the greek and symbol
characters. So she may need to provide a pdf file as well:
"Look, this is what I've done, but I couldn't get it printed properly"

> affected by 'upgrades'. I'd also check /var/cache/apt/archives for any
> xfonts that are not installed. I think you can use dpkg --get-selections
> to see what is missing.

huh? I don't even understand what this means.