Package manager & tar.gz apps

Just wondering, what happens to the system when you remove an installed
package or component of a package and replace/update with a tar.gz compiled
from source application? Can this break the system -- leading to dependancy
issues?

I'm asking because I had to install module-init-tools, e2fsprogs and procps
(requisite for kernel 2.6.0) from source simply because I couldn't find the
respective deb package or probably the deb package failed on my system.

At the moment, the command 'apt-get check' does not report any conflicts.

Thanks & regards,

--

Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya