Re: Is there any encrypted or secure NFS?

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 08:30:48 -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> What would be the best route to establish an encrypted or secure nfs
> session?

There are several approaches:
- Establish a VPN connection (e.g. FreeS/WAN IPSec, or tinc) between the
  hosts and route your NFS traffic over it.
  This is probably the most straightforward and mature option.
- Look into NFSv3 over secure RPC.
- Look into NFSv4.
- Use a different network filesystem that has encrypted connections builtin.
  I'm not familiar with them; you may want to look at openafs, tcfs,
  intermezzo, and coda.

> I would like to be able to mount a faraway (debian) machine with
> confidence of not being observed. Any ideas?

Encryption is used to scramble your traffic. It's still observable that
you're communicating with the remote machine, just the traffic itself is
being secured against unauthorised eyes.

HTH,
Ray
--
Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but if they called them "sad meals", kids wouldn't