KDE 3.3.1 issue

Hi,
Yesterday I tried to upgrade KDE from 3.2 to 3.3.1. This is how I tried
to do
$ apt-get install kdebase
$ apt-get install kde

After the installation, I tried to log into KDE.
After loging in I found that no applications are listed in the K-Menu.
That is, when I click on the "K" button, there is nothing between "All
Applications" and "Actions".
Nothing happens when I right click the desktop and choose - 'Configure
Desktop' or when I right click the panel and choose 'Configure Panel'.
I think, I have completely messed up my KDE. I can log in to GNOME but
still I want to sort out this issue as well.
I request your suggestions.

--
Aditya Pratap V.,
Goshamahal, Hyderabad - 12,