Re: Alternate OSes based on Debian

Eric d'Alibut wrote:
Discussions of the politics of computing are hardly thought
"ridiculous" by most serious people.

    Correct, however, this is not a rational discussion.

> I don't have any idea what Shuttleworth's politics are,

    Here you claim ignorance...

> but he obviously does not hesitate to associate himself  --
> even if "only" semantically -- with so-called
revolutionary movements known for their terrorist agendas.

...yet here you somehow know exactly what he was doing. Newsflash, Ubuntu is a *word*. It is not inconceivable that two people thought of using a word in two radically different ways based on the meaning of that word.

To give a sledgehammer example what you're doing is saying that the *Republic* of the United States of America, the Irish *Republican?* Army and the People's *Republic* of China are somehow in cahoots with one another because they all, as part of their offical name, chose the word "Republic".

In short until you have proof that the name for the recent Debian off-shoot was chosen specifically because that other group chose it and not just because it's a neeto name with a cool definition then you're best off leaving any statements you might make to the first you made above; that you know nothing. To do any more simply makes you out like a netkook and not worthy of any attention on this or any other matter even if they are serious and worthy of attention.