Re: Debian sid and "risk management"

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 11:40 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 09:18 -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
--snip--
> > But I do absolutely agree that for mission critical systems, stable
> > should be the only real choice.
>
> With or without backports? Or hand compiled packages? or Third Party
> (read as non-Debian) software that needs non-Debian package (as in not
> packaged by Debian Developers for Debian)?

A mission critical system definitely should not use backports and
definitely SHOULD use security updates.

Hand compiled packages are left to your discretion. Sometimes they are
necessary, but are you confident enough in the software and have you
tested it thoroughly with an identical test system for a prolonged
period to make sure it won't break?

Third-party software should observe all of the considerations for
hand-compiled packages. Further considerations in the case of commercial
software include warranties and certification of the software. If the
software does break and brings your business to a grinding halt, what
will the vendor to rectify the situation, and how quickly will they do
it?

Keep in mind that most vendors will only certify to big-name
distributions like Red Hat and will not support a Debian installation.
This is always up to your discretion, but if my job were riding on a
system staying up I certainly wouldn't risk using commercial software on
an unsupported platform.

> To what extent do you see, MISSION CRITICAL SYSTEMS being? an example
> please.

A mission critical system is a production system which handles a major
and important portion of the production process. In a previous life I
worked in the IT department for a large steel company. Mission critical
there meant any of the production line computers. If any of these fails,
the entire line needs to be shut down. The cost of this is in the
MILLIONS of dollars and that is not even considering lost profits and
lost materials. Just to stop the line and start it back up is in the
MILLIONS. THAT is mission critical.

One of our clients at my current job runs their business almost
exclusively through faxes. They have 6 servers, each handling 4 fax
lines, and they go through roughly 4000 faxes in a typical day. A
downtime of 1 minute could translate to 24 lost or delayed faxes, each
to or from a very important customer. That's mission critical. Needless
to say these boxes are all running Woody.

A web or mail server for a company that does not rely on e-commerce
would be non-mission critical in my opinion.

A Sid system in normal operation can easily provide 99.999% uptime or
better. That's roughly 9 hours of down-time in a year. (One of our file
servers running Sid has been up for 480 days, so far in '04 it's at 100%
uptime.)

A Woody system should be able to do 99.9999% or even 99.99999% uptime. 1
hour or 5 minutes of down-time in a year, respectively.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837