Re: The 'mail' system account

Sam Watkins wrote:
In what package is the 'mail' system account defined and how do I find this out? I've seen 'mail' even in the most minimalist installations (without exim or mailx), but I'm not sure that if I put stuffs in /var/mail it won't get deleted when some package removal include the removal of the 'mail' system account.

/var/mail isn't a system account, it's infrastructure.

By "system account", I meant a Unix account which has UID < 1000 (or is it < 500?).

[snip]

  dpkg -S /var/mail

Thanks for the explanation. I see that the "usermin-mailbox" package defines it, but that's probably not where it originates.

Regards,
dave