Re: aptitude: modifying sources.list

Ben Bettin wrote:
When you get that error message, scroll down to the bottom.  Near the
bottom it will have a message recommending that you "Update" to remedy
the problem.  Should be just above the 'ok' button.  ;)

Ben

Hi Debianers,
I'm running sarge 2.4.27-1-386 and normally use aptitude (ver.0.2.15.8)
for handling my packages. I noticed that if I add a new source to
sources.list and then run "aptitude update", I get the hated
"W: Couldn't stat source package list.." error message.
If I first run apt-get (apt 0.5.27) then everything works perfectly. If
I then run aptitude update (probably vacuously since I guess apt-get
update has already done what needs to be done), no more error messages.
I scoured the man pages, help files, and googled around quite a bit and
only found one thread that dealt with this question. The thread seemed
to presuppose that everyone knows you do apt-get update and NOT aptitude
update after modifying you sources.list file.

First, is this true? or have I misconfigured something?
Second, if true, is it documented somewhere?

Thanks for the help.
Jonathan

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the reply but I'm afraid you didn't understand my question. The problems arise when I AM updating - in aptitude. Since I'm running aptitude on a command line there are no buttons. I see the message
"W: You may want to update the package lists to correct these missing files"
As I said, I know how to fix the problem: I run apt-get update. My questions were as I stated them at the end of the original posting.
Cheers,
Jonathan