Re: questions about disk partitions

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Eric wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I was in need of some more hard disk space and so I figured I'd reclaim some
> of the unused space in my rarely used XP partition. XP is located on hda1.
> I resized hda1 from 35GB to 15GB using ntfsresize leaving ~20GB of free
> space, but I can't create a new partition since I've already got 3 primary
> partitions (+ 1 extended). Is there any way I can create a logical
> partition out of the now unused space on hda1 (keeping in mind that the
> free space is physically located between hda1 and hda2)?

assuming ntfsresize worked properly and correctly

0) -- do NOT use random number for partition scheme assigned by
   the default installers
	- use all 3 primary partitions before using logical partitions

1) remember the start and end cylinder number of hda1 and the current
   hda2
	- backup any data BEFORE you play with partitions

2) delete hda2
3) create a new hda2 at the end of hda1  and before your previous hda2
	- insert the new partition
4) create a new partition hda3 of the previous old hda2
	- run e2fsck or equivalent on the new hda3
	- rename any references to hda2 to be the new hda3

5) format hda2 after the system is working properly like before
   and than mount and use the new space

c ya
alvin