.deb files arch independant?

Heya! As I write I'm installeing Woody (Link to Sarge wasn't working... wasn't dead... just stalled, so I did woody for now) on my ol' PowerMac 7300 next to me. A while back I downloaded all 14 disks of Sarge for x86. With my one-disk Debian 3.0r3 PPC disk I'm installing the base system on my Mac. What I want to know is if I can plug in the x86 disks and install software from them, so I don't have to spend all day downloading stuff for the Mac. So: Are .deb packages arch independant? I gather so, just want to make sure (Debian newbie here). And... would it really mess things up if I used the Sarge x86 disks as apt-get sources on my Woody PPC system? Thanx in advance, and please CC this to me, I'm more likely to see it that way,
                 SigmaChi

--
Registered Linux user #: 366,862
Registered Linux computer #: 261,856