Re: distro for novices

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 12:56 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> this is not a troll, really! I'm just looking for some advice.
>
> I've been using Debian exclusively for about 2.5 years, and it's the
> only linux with which I really have any experience.  I teach in the
[snip]

> I had a bit of a wake up call this week when I tried out Ubuntu.  I
> know it's based on Debian, and uses gnome, which really isn't so far
> from my desktop, xfce.  But I found it surprisingly confusing to use;
> having everything hidden behind the gui layer seems quite foreign to
> me now.  so I really don't want to give folks a distro in which the
> ocnf files need constant tweaking, as I've found they sometimes do
> in Debian (at least in Sid, which I guess is an unfair comparison).

Have you tried Gnoppix?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"But a much bigger business is selling anti-spam software. This
is a billion dollar market, and it is rapidly growing. Any simple
and effective solution against spam would defeat revenues and
drive several companies into bankrupt, would make consultants
jobless. ... Have a single, simple, and permanent solution to the
problem and - boom - this billion dollar market is dead. That's
one of the reasons why people are expected to live with spam.
They have to live with it to make them buy anti-spam software.
Content filters are perfect products to keep this market alive."
Hadmut Danisch