Re: import outlook express to thunderbird

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 13:34 +0000, David Dorward wrote:
> ms linux wrote:
> > i'm sorry if this sounds obvious, but i realize that
> > thunderbird for win has feature to import outlook
> > express mails and addressbook.
> > i'm curious how this feature not included in my
> > thunderbird.
>
> I would expect it uses hooks into the Win32 API which, for obviously
> reasons, isn't available under Linux.

That is exactly how it's done.

> > i'm still dualbooting with win on hda1 ( for gaming
> > purpose only ) and will be very excited
> > if my mails which previously downloaded by OE ( before
> > i swith to deb ) can be exported.
>
> Install Thunderbird/Win32, use it to import the mail, then transfer that
> to your Linux install.

This is the standard way.

Since the Linux side can mount the Windows partitions, you can
Import the files, as well as cp'ing the.

> > is there a difference between mail format stored by
> > thunderbird-win with thunderbird-deb ?
>
> Not as far as I know.

They are both mbox format.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out."
s. keeling