Re: Endless X reconfigure

John Hodges wrote:

Just migrated to Debian for largely philosophical reasons, and now
XFree86 is giving me fits. When I dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, the
mouse does not respond regardless of which mouse settings I choose.
After reconfiguring 5-6 times (even if I use the same values), it
eventually works. Whenever I reboot the machine, however, I have to go
through this whole mess again.

I'm at work now, so can't post any specific error messages. I was just
wondering if anyone had heard of/experienced anything similar and had
some links to point me to. I googled it, but got nothing material. For
the record, I'm using a Logitech MouseMan optical wireless mouse. Works
beautifully under xorg.

TIA,

Something is probably reading the mouse at the same time - see if you have gpm running and remove it from your startup procedure (or kill it before starting X). See if that makes a difference.