Re: how can I put an acpi laptop to sleep?

John M Flinchbaugh wrote:
On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 12:20:06PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Something I missed. echo 4 >/proc/acpi/sleep indeed does so. Then what? You power down? With the button? I reboot with resume=/dev/hda13 in the boot cmdline and linux complains about not being shutdown right, and he cycles through all the steps anyway.

swsusp only works if you have one and only one swap partition mounted.

i always boot with resume=<my swap partition>, and the "echo 4" causes a
switch to another tty, and i can watch the progress dots as it swaps out
memory and then writes the remaining memory image to the rest of the
swap partition.  when it finishes, it powers down my notebook for me
through an acpi call, i guess.

next time i boot (with the resume=<swap partition>), the resume code
recognizes the signature at the front of the swap partition and resumes
from that.

i'm not sure if specifying the resume= kernel option is key for normal
boots from which you'll suspend.

Thanks! Then there is something missing in my kernel configuration. "Echo 4" does a few things but then does not power down the system. Because I don't have the right power options no doubt. And I only have one swap partition mounted.

H.