Re: Help

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:45:21 -0800 (PST)
samuel prakash <samjkd@yahoo.com> wrote:

> sir
>
>     I am from india. I recently got your debian linux
> on a DVD as a free issue from a magazine "PC quest". I
> used linux kernel 2.6 on my machine running pentium 4
> with mercury motherboard using intel 845GL as chipset.
> after installing the gnome starts only with 640 x 480.
> I cant change the resolution and when i try to login
> as root in the GUI mode it says login as root is not
> allowed.please send me the solution to
> samjkd@yahoo.com

Well, you shouldn't login as root, especially in GUI mode: think Windows
and viruses, malicious software or possible bugs that result in a
trashed system ... If you log in as  a normal user, you will trash only
your files, but if you log in as root you will be able trash *all* the
files on the computer.

In my oppinion the only correct way to use root is to log in as a user
withour superuser privileges and use "su" to switch to "root" when you
need it for administrative tasks that cannot be performed otherwise.

Have you tried running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"?

Emil P.