Re: Question about Dual boot Linux on one box

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lian Liming" <lianliming@realss.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 12:14 PM
Subject: Question about Dual boot Linux on one box

Hi all,
I have a box with a pre-installed gentoo system. Since that system is installed by my friend and we share the same box, i can't destroy it. I'd like to use Debian system. So i am thinking about two boot linux system -- Gentoo && Debian -- working on the same box.
    There are several questions that i am quite confused as following:

    1) the partitions.
        The pre-installed gentoo system has the following partitions:
              /dev/hda1 mount at /boot
              /dev/hda2 mount at swap
              /dev/hda3 mount  at /
              /dev/hda4 mount  at /home
              /dev/hda5 mount  at /var/www
        and there is another partition /dev/hda6 has no filesystem on it.
My questions about partitions is that, to install debian system on it. Is it possible to share /boot, /home, /var/www with the gentoo system? The advantage doing this is that we can share the information better. If we share /home, then i can have accounts on both Gentoo and Debian system. And the two accounts on both system share the same directory, i don't need have two copy of my personal datas.

Another further and *crazy* question is that : can i share "/" partition with Gentoo && Debian? I know that they are all linux system with similar filesystem structure, but Gentoo and Debian have their different features, for example, Gentoo has a way to hold its portages system. To share the "/" really sounds crazy, but i just wonder is it possible? Maybe someone else has tried on this.
       2) the boot loader program
I am not familiar with the boot loader on Linux so this is another question that confused me so much. The pre-installed Gentoo has installed "Grub" and the boot loader is installed on mbr. So if i install debian, Should i installed another boot loader such as Grub or lilo? Or is it possible that i don't install boot loader on debian , and just use the "grub" on the Gentoo, add some entries to the grub config file so that i can select debian on the system boot?

   3) insteresting kernel question
It is really an insteresting question, can i use the kernel compiling on the other system? For example, i compile a 2.6.9 kernel on Gentoo, and i just copy the binary kernel to Debian system and boot from the kernel on Debian. Actually, this question is not important. I am just interested on this topic.

I am not a linux guru and sorry for my poor English, if i can't explain something clear, please think free to point it out.
    Thank you very much for any suggestion.

hi,
i have a box with debian and gentoo dual boot.
they share swap partition only.
but i play a little trick, i make the admin user on the diferent system have the
same uid number, then i can share files.

i think you can install only one grub to boot the two system with editing menu.lst.
ps: two grub is ok.

/ directory is not suitable to share.

poor english, too.