Re: 2.6.7 kernel panic

On Monday 29 November 2004 23:04, machoamerica wrote:
> i compiled the 2.6.7 kernel from source using make-kpkg.  when i
> boot i get this:
>
> UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(3,4)

Can you post a couple more lines before the panic?

> /dev/hda4 is the root partition and has /boot on it as well.  it's
> an ext3 partition.  i have no UDF partitions to my knowledge.

I think this is due to the order in which file systems are attempted.  I
believe you can get this error, but still succeed.

> kernel options that may have relevance that i set for 2.6.7 are:
>
> CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=16384
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
> CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y

FWIW, those look fine, so far as I know.

> worse, my old 2.4.18 kernel no longer works.  i'm assuming this
> means that what i'm doing wrong is something trivial & stupid.
> my current lilo.conf is:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> compact
> lba32
> timeout=200
> prompt
>
> # To use the new LILO boot menu, add the following
> bitmap=/boot/debianlilo.bmp
> bmp-table=109p,148p,1,7
> bmp-colors=0,15,8,15,1,7
> bmp-timer=514p,144p,0,15
>
> # don't think this is needed:
> #install=/boot/boot-bmp.b
>
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> delay=20
> default=Linux
> image=/vmlinuz
>  label = Linux
> # i've tried commenting out read-only, but to no avail
>  read-only
>  initrd=/initrd.img
>  root=/dev/hda4
>
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>  label = "Linux 2.4"
>         read-only
>         append = "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
>         initrd=/initrd.img.old
>  root=/dev/hda4
>
> other=/dev/hda1
>         label="Windows 98"
>
> thanks in advance for any help,
> macho

It seems as if your kernel image (the initial ram disk) is actually loaded,
right?  That would lead me to believe it is not your boot loader that is
the problem, but rather your kernel image.

On the other hand, if your old image is also found, but does not boot, then
clearly the problem is broader than just your new kernel.

Have you checked your root file system for errors?

Is your computer from 1998 or earlier?  Older bios's don't support LBA, and
if your kernels or your map file isn't within the first 1024 cylinders,
your out of luck.  It could be that installing a new kernel moved the map
file outside of the first 1024 cylinders, but I would think that would
cause the kernels not to be found, so you wouldn't get as far as you did.
Still, that's the reason some advocate a separate /boot partition: it can
be small, and fully contained within the first 1024 cylinders, eliminating
this problem.  It shouldn't be necessary on newer computers, however.

When you reran lilo after the install, it didn't complain, did it?

Justin Guerin