Re: usb vs. drivers

Another thing maybe you can clarify for me:
Suppose that my camera supports a USB mass storage interface as well as
a camera (PTP?) interface. Is it the case that only one driver at a
time, either mass-storage or ptp, is allowed to bind to the camera
(i.e., /proc/bus/usb/001/005) ?

Probably true, but seems that the PTP support is not present on the
kernel. Accordingly to this documentation
(http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html), your camera is
supported via
gphoto2/ptp, so maybe this excludes usb-storage... =)

Is it also the case that the usb-mass-storage driver is part of the
kernel, whereas the ptp driver might actually be built directly into an
application such as gphoto2?

Yes. Seems that you need to install "gtkam" or "gphoto2".

Andrea

I do have gphoto2 installed. It has a rule in /etc/hotplug/usb/ so that when the camera is plugged in, its entry in /proc/bus/usb... is altered: the owner is made to be root:camera, and its permissions are set to 660.

But it seems to me that such a script doesn't actually bind a driver to the device. That should leave open the possibility that usb-mass-storage can pick up the camera.

I could understand if I'm getting only a mass storage device (/dev/sda1) or gphoto2 works with the camera, but in reality neither is happening. Gphoto2 tells me it can't find a camera.

Thanks for the link to http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html. I'll check that out, and maybe harass the gphoto2 maillist ;)

- Christian

--
Christian Convey