Re: Cron and Anacron for newbies (noffle also) Solved (for me at least)

Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody could point me to a faq for cron and anacron?
>
> Reason I ask is because I am getting into noffle and the doc says to run
> an
> expire every day.  I noticed just such a command on a directory called
> /etc/cron.daily/
>
> So I also, (in addition to the faq) would like to know,
>
> 1) how do I verify that one of the jobs in /etc/cron.daily/ ran to
> successful completion
>
> 2) How can I migrate the running of these jobs to anacron, as my personal
> computer is not a 24/7 uptime system.
>
> Thanks for any and all responses!
> ---
>
> Scotty

Thank you, David, Paul, Sam, Hugo and Maurits!

I now know it is working right.  I dug the documentation a
little, and found a more eloquent way to verify that anacron
was working.

I found that the anacrontab file uses run-parts with a setting
of "--reports", I read the doc for run-parts and reset this to
"--verbose" and got this in my local email

Anacron job 'cron.dailyjob'
From: root@rucyber-punk (Anacron)
 To: root@rucyber-punk
 Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:01:40 -0500

run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/0anacron
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/calendar
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/exim
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/find
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/logrotate
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/man-db
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/modutils
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/netkit-inetd
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/noffle
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/standard
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd
run-parts: executing /etc/cron.daily/wwwoffle

and now know it is working!

But, I will still read the faq at ursine.dyndns.org!

Thanks for the help!
---