Can't get network to work

Hi all, I'm a complete debian newbie; I decided to delete my slack
distro and install deb instead because of all the rave reviews, but the
rewards have yet to materialize.  Deb is more "hard core" (and therefore
presumably better) than slack, as evidenced by how hard it is to set up!

Problem:
On a fresh install of Debian 3.0r3 Woody (2.2.20-idepci kernel) off the
.iso from the server, the neworking doesn't work.  I'm on an AMD Athlon
with a 21140-based on-board ethernet chip (lspci and WinXP both say so)

The story:
During installation, it was able to connect to the network just fine and
download updates and stuff.  Just to make sure, I opened a terminal
during install and pinged google.  SO I KNOW IT CAN WORK.

HOWEVER, after booting, eth0 is only configured for a 192.168 address,
NOT what the dhcp in my dsl modem should be giving it.  I run ifup eth0
and I get a series of "SIOCSIFADDR: No such device" errors.  Ditto if I
run dhclient directly.

Other people have had this problem, and it seems to be an issue with the
network (tulip) modules.  So I say, "insmod tulip" and I get "Unresolved
symbol pci_drv_register"

Again, more research, and I am told to type, "modprobe tulip".  Ok, now
there is no error. (apparently, insprobe pci_scan and then insprobe
tulip does the same thing)

I type, "ifdown eth0" and then "ifup eth0", and nope, still the same
SIOCSIFADDR errors.

I added 'alias /dev/eth0 tulip' in the /etc/modutils/aliasas file and then ran update-modules. /etc/modules.conf has this entry. Reboot, and same problems.

During boot, it appears to find the nework card just fine (tulip.o comes
up, and lspci gives all the details about the card). Also, the
SIOCSIFADDR messages are repeated there as the dhcp tries to come up. Then during modprobe in boot it says "Can't locate module eth0:0", with a bunch of IO types errors (all-caps).

Is this a kernel problem?  Should I go back to nice, warm slackware?  Or
continue using Win XP, which is the only way I can actually get
*anything* to work, including this email?! :) How did the install program know how to get the network card running?

Any help is wonderful,
thanks
michelle