Kernel - not syncing

I've compiled a few kernels using 2.6.9. ONe worked but I did not keep the config. None of the ones I've done the Debian way (ie. through a deb file) boot. The error message is: Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. Any ideas? I do have one 2.6.9 kernel that doesn't do this - but like I said I don't have the configuration to hand. Doing it on a 486, and compilation is taking 3-4 hours a shot, so I'm hoping someone can save me more tiral and error!