Re: Java

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 10:12 -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> I'm trying to get Java running with the firefox browser.
>
> I can't seem to find anything under the blackdown packages that will
> actually work.  Seems there are some gcc version problems.
>
> I also am not sure what I'm supposed to do with Sun's packages.
> Too bad they don't have enough sense to put deb's out there.
>

> How do I get java working?
>
> All I really need are Applets since I don't have any real java
> applications running today.  But in the long run, I would prefer to have
> something with is .deb compatible and full JRE capable.

This was actually just discussed about a week ago on this list. The best
solution (IMO) is to build a deb package of Sun's actual distribution
and go from there. There's a pretty complete writeup of the process
available at http://serios.net/content/debian/java.php

The short version is basically:

1) Download the latest JRE from java.sun.com
2) Install java-package and fakeroot (apt-get install java-package
fakeroot)
3) Build a deb of the JRE using 'fakeroot make-jpkg <downloaded
filename>'
4) Install the newly created .deb using 'dpkg -i <deb filename>'
5) Install the debian-specific java bits 'apt-get install sun-j2re<your
version>debian'

By far the most time-consuming part of the process is going to be
downloading the JRE and then waiting for the .deb to build. As long as
you're not using dialup you should be able to have everything done in
well under 30 mins.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837