moving installation to a different computer without reinstalling

I had a power supply failure and I moved my hard drive
directly to another computer (from 200MHz Intel to
500MHz AMD) as this was a semi-planned upgrade that
came a bit earlier than expected. I expected to
migrate data to a new install, not the actual drive.

I got a kernel panic with the first boot with some
timing errors in the messages.

uname -a
Linux pools 2.4.22-1-386 #9 Sat Oct 4 14:30:39 EST
2003 i586 GNU/Linux

currently running "testing".

I didn't do a proper checkout of the bug as I was in a
hurry to get the machine back up and running. Short
sighted on my part.

After reboot, all _seems_ to be well. But fear hovers
all around and I plan to do a fresh install ASAP.

Question: Is there any known gotchas to upgrading all
the hardware without reinstalling the system?

The only change to the config that I made was to
change the module loaded for the network card.