passwd fails. Please help.

All,

I am unable to change passwd as it fails with error message "passwd: Authentication token manipulation error". My /etc/pam.d/passwd contains

   #
   # The PAM configuration file for the Shadow `passwd' service
   #

   # This file is blank to allow fall-through to the 'other' service.

As there are no modules mentioned passwd opens (by looking at strace output) /etc/pam.d/other which has

   auth     required       pam_deny.so
   account  required       pam_deny.so
   password required       pam_deny.so
   session  required       pam_deny.so

I suspect empty pam.d/passwd is the problem. Could some one tell me what /etc/pam.d/passwd suppose to contain so that I can change passwd successfully and correctly. (@include common-password seems like a good candidate but I would rather like to get it from some one knows better)

Thanks and Regards
Ramesh