Can't burn CDs since kernel 2.6.7 - am I the only one?

Following my upgrading to linux 2.6.7 I have been unable to burn a CD.  This
is still true now, even as root, with kernel 2.6.9, having also tried 2.6.8

I know there was a lot of fuss with cdrecord and 2.6.8, but my problems seem
to predate that.

What happens, when I try to do any simple command is that one of the child
processes of cdrecord seems to be stuck in the D state in the kernel.  That
is, its done an uninterrruptable IO request which has not been detected as
completed by the kernel driver (ide-cd?).  This means you can't kill the
process (even with kill -9) and the only way to get rid of it is with a
reboot.  (there was a recent discussion on processes getting into this state
on the kernel mailing list).

Just so everyone is clear of the situation, the second IDE channel has two
cdrom like drives.  /dev/hdc is the cdrw device which I am trying to use to
burn, /dev/hdd is a dvd device.

I used the simple command

cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 blank=fast

and (with a Rewriteable CD in the drive) it then preceeds to hang.

As I can reboot into Windows XP and burn CDs perfectly, and (at least for me)
means I have been with a substandard system for a couple of months now.
Google around as hard as I try, I cannot seem to find any indication that
someone else has such a problem (other than the debian bug report 265747)

It looks to me to be some form of kernel error in the driver.  Has anyone any
idea, even if have have to rebuild the kernel, how I can debug this?

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk