remote printing cups to lpd

I've been using lpd for printing on my home desktop machine running woody
and am comfortable with it.  Recently I acquired a laptop machine
pre-installed with sarge which uses cups.  The laptop is connected to
the deskton via a LAN, and I would like print from the laptop using the
printer on the desktop.  I added the hostname of the laptop to
/etc/hosts.lpd on the desktop, and then ran following command to add the
remote printer on the laptop:

lpadmin -p lp -E -v socket://isis:515

where "isis" is the name of the desktop machine and 515 appears to be the
port on which lpd listens.

If I try :

lp <somefile>

I get an acknowledgment:

request id is lp-9 (1 file(s))

but lpstat shows no queued jobs.  lpstat -t shows:

scheduler is running
system default destination: lp
device for lp: socket://isis:515/
lp accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
printer lp is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00
       Received 47 bytes of back-channel data!

There are files c0000n in /var/spool/cups for the print jobs, but otherwise
the jobs just seem to disappear.

I can see no evidence that the print requests ever made it to the desktop
machine.

Do I have to do something else to let cups know that the remote system
is running lpd rather than cups?

- Will