Re: aptitude keeps trying to replace my vim-gtk and ftpd

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 13:52, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Jules Dubois(3f88o9g02@sneakemail.com) is reported to have said:

> >>If you want to keep bluefish, tell aptitude you installed it
> >> "manually".
> >
> >  I didn't install it manually.  I had a total system wipeout about a
>
>    AFAIK aptitude considers the package intentionally installed if you
> do installation using aptitude. Otherwise it will try to remove the
> package (if nothing else depends on it).

Not exactly.  Aptitude considers the package intentionally installed if you
specifically request it, like doing "aptitude install bluefish" from the
command line, or selecting it from the interactive interface.  However, if
you do "aptitude install gnome", bluefish will be installed as a dependency
of gnome, and will be marked as automatically installed.  Aptitude will try
to clean up after itself by removing the package when all packages that
bluefish depends on (and are manually installed) are removed.

>    to fix it just hit '+' (ask aptitude to install it) when it tries to
> remove it. From then on it will know you want the package.
>
>    I guess the underlying problem is that apt-get doesn't differentiate
> between packages installed as a dependency and packages installed
> explicitly by user so aptitude has nothing to decide whether you
> installed the package.
>
>  erik

Actually, aptitude should consider all packages installed with apt-get (and
other non-aptitude installed packages) as manually installed.

Justin Guerin