Re: annoying mutt problem

At Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:37:29 +0100,
Maurits van Rees wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 12:45:17AM -0700, Sean wrote:
> > After fetching my mail from my isp's pop server, mutt usually only
> > displays the first 10 or so messages.  The others although fetched by
> > fetchmail, don't display in my mailbox for a few minutes, according to
> > mutt.  If I have about 50 or so, I can quit mutt, and go back in to see
> > all the messages.  However if there are 200 or so, like today, it takes
> > 2 or so minutes and quitting and restarting mutt before I see them all.
> > What's appening here?  Can I fix that?
> > Sean
>
> I had that too once with a large batch of mail. I think the problem is
> that some of the messages are still "in the system". E.g. they may
> still be getting processed by procmail or spamassassin. You can try
> using `ps' to see which processes are running. Maybe that helps.

Some are probably waiting for procmail, but from personal experience, at least
with using exim, some are probably queued at the mailer (fetchmail posts the
messages locally through you mailer)

If you are using exim, run mailq (as root) to see the list of pending
messages. Running /etc/init.d/exim4 restart will push it on its way to forward
the messages locally now and not wait for later (you can probably play with the
setting also concerning the amount of messages to handle immediately, but I
don't know how).

Also, I'm not sure how about the exact workings here, but if you are using
mailbox format, the mailbox requires locking in order to access. Don't know what
the interaction between the mailer and mutt is. Moving to maildirs of MH format
(if you are not using them already) may improve you performance.