customizing runlevel 1

Hi,

i manage my Debian server via SSH. When i want to increase the size of a lv (i use LVM), i usually go to runlevel 1 and then do the business that i need to do. Off course, in the process of going to runlevel 1, the SSH connection is killed and i can't log back in. The reason that i go to run level 1 is that it closes running programs that otherwise might prevent an umount. I always get some sort of program holding on to the device
that i want to resize so going to runlevel 1 solves that.

Is there anyway that i can keep the network in runlevel 1 or should i just customize
another runlevel for this kind of maintenance?

Thanks,
Benedict