/dev/hdc? and changing drive letters

On a given dual boot machine, Windowx XP and Debain (or any Linux for that matter) and booting using Grub, what effect would changing a drive letter in Windows have on the partition table, if any? I am just trying to verify it won't mess with my Debian installation. All I want to do is interchange D: and E: driver letters for two partitions (for sharing data between Windows and Linux in an inituitive way -- mainly for non techie users).

->HS
PS: Perhaps this is semi-OT, but I don't expect anybody in Windows groups to be familiar with Linux, fstab and grub.