Re: Yanking a USB Hard Drive/ReiserFS causes Kernel Panic

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:39:30PM -0400, Peter Hsu wrote:

> This is not a bug or quirk in Debian.  It's a refusal on the part of
> the operating system to compensate for failure to follow procedure.

No, it's a bug in Linux (as distributed by Debian).  I'm using Linux in the
sense of "the kernel and closely associated stuff."

It is, not acceptable, but perhaps understandable that yanking the drive
could cause drive corruption and data loss.  For it to freeze the system is
simply silly.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading