Re: [Semi-OT] Funding for speeding up debian release cycle

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Shriram Shrikumar wrote:

> Would it be feasible to hire one or more full time developer to spend
> all their time ironing out the release critical bugs?

buggs are fixed daily ...

let the resumes flow in :-)

> How much would this developer need to get paid?

in silly con valley ... a good developer can pull down $150K/yr or more
and gazillion $$$$ in stock options

	- you get what you pay for ... in terms of quality of coding,
	productive work, qa, bug tracking, doc que ment a tion,
	testing, etc

"release cycle" can be daily or weekly or monthly ...
	- you can release a CD anytime you like
	and that daily build already exists

	- the "developers tasks" is probably just 10% of the overall
	"release cycle" before it gets "blessed" to go out

- if you want a stable release ... where there are minimal buggs,
  you already have that ( sarge )

	- and making "more releases" does NOT mean better sw
	( even silly ms takes 5 years to release a new OS vs
	( patching their mistakes every 2-3 yrs w/ about 500
	( developers and we wont even try to count their
	( qa/documentaion/bug tracking/etc folks ..

- latest/greatest usually fixes known problems, but always creates
  new ones
	- pick the problems you want fixed and watch for those
	apps and test those apps

<flame suit on>
c ya
alvin