Re: Building binaries for older versions of libc6

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:58:16 +0100, Ben Hutchings
<ben.hutchings@businesswebsoftware.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering whether it's possible to build binaries with g++ 3.4 that
> will require only libc6 2.2, and if so, how.  If I remove g++-3.4,
> downgrade to woody and then build and install g++ from source, is that
> likely to work?

Probably not, but you should be able to install a parallel version of
g++ configured as a cross-compiler for an earlier libc version.  I've
never done this myself, so I don't know what specifically is needed,
but I know cross-compiling is possible.  Check the configure options
for gcc/g++.  You'll probably also need to install the earlier libc,
as well, but obviously not as the default version that will be picked
up with -lc.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh