Re: What means that: FATAL: udev is already active on /dev/. ?

Paolo Alexis Falcone wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:35:59 +0200, Christian Leimer
> <christian_leimer@web.de> wrote:
>> If I boot from another system the .dev is gone.
>> But booting back in the troble maker shows the .dev and with the contents
>> of an old /dev only null and console and I can not delete this it says it
>> is in use. If I delete the content of .dev the system does not boot.
>>
>> Very curios what happens here.
>> Also an other disk at sdb is not recognized.
>
> If you installed udev, it will manage the creation of devices in your
> /dev (which is mounted over a tmpfs). the .udev directory would
> contain the real /dev devices while the udev daemon is still running.
>
> Now, since the real /dev is just moved to .dev, deleting the .dev
> directory would make your machine unbootable prior to the point that
> the udev daemon gets started. At any rate, you can regenerate the
> contents of .dev by using the MAKEDEV utility.

Thanks for this info!

So every udev user has an old .dev?
Which is used befor udev starts or if udev maybe is broken.
My system now works without the warning but I was cofused about the .dev
directory.

Are there some debian related docus which cover init-scripts and the
filesystem structure or is it all unix like, which are the standards used?

Bye Chris.