Re: compile src or make .deb pkg?

"Steve" <ekco9595@rogers.com> writes:

> So what do you on debian if you want a newer version of a program or a
> program that isnt in apt-get's list at all, just go get the src and
> compile it?

I would probably check if it's in something like backports.org.
Otherwise, I might add the src for Sid, and download, compile and
install that that.
Lastly, I just get the original package and compile and install that
(but only if there are no other packages depending on it, like I used to
do it with Gaim).  If there are other packages that depends on it, I
might create an equivs-debian package.

--
John L. Fjellstad