make menuconfig and xconfig

Hi.

I have tried to run make xconfig and make menuconfig on my debian sarge system.

But I'm receiving errors, and have Googled without any luck.

If running make menuconfig, I receive this:

# make menuconfig
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>> You must install ncurses-devel in order
>> to use 'make menuconfig'

make[2]: *** [scripts/lxdialog/ncurses] Error 1
make[1]: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

I have run apt-get install ncurses-devel, but this is obviously not the right way ?

And if running make xconfig:

Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure that the
* QT development package is correctly installed and the QTDIR
* environment variable is set to the correct location.
*
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

How do I encouter if the QT is right, and placed, and where shall it be placed ?.

Are the errors 1 and 2 due to lack of the QT ?.

Erik