Subject: adduser problem
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:45:34 -0500
From: Jim Hall <volunteer@revealed.net>
To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

Greetings,

I volunteer in my church's computer lab (hence my email name) and
advocate Linux where and whenever possible. We have a sarge system as a
test system. A very knowledgeable Debian expert (call him Buddy) helped
me set it up. I started getting used to it, especially apt, because I've
been using RedHat since I started using Linux.

About a year ago, my local LUG set up a small weekly newspaper with
Linux. The workstations are dual boot W98/RedHat 7.3 (don't ask, long
story), the server is Debian (named debbie). Buddy set it up. He is
very, very good, but had to do some customization (maybe a lot). After
doing updates, upgrades, and dist-upgrades on the lab test system with
no apparent ill effects, I thought it was time to do the same to the
newspapers server. In the process I broke 'adduser'. So far, the
solution appears to involve LDAP. None of us seems to have much
experience with that. Buddy has since moved and isn't responding to emails.

The newspaper has been working on a series of articles about the
switchover from Windoze to Linux. Right now they're not very happy with
Debian. Is there anyone who offers paid, secure support for Debian?
Donation to the Debian project is also acceptable. Remote access can be
provided.

I don't know if this is the correct thing to do, but I'm totally lost
and don't know what else to do. I haven't included any specifics because
I don't know what would be needed or if this list is the right place to
post this request.

Thanks,
Jim
--
DC Parris  GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/

Free software is like God's love - you can share it with anyone anywhere anytime!